Print cargoicon-01PrintPrintPrintPrint

Aisling.
Pronounced [ASH-LING].

Scroll down for music, pictures + ramblings.

Wednesday

This film made me feel like something big is actually happening.
Watching this has made me feel something, like really feel something for the first time in a long time. I was so inspired.

This could be a movement that makes a difference and changes everything, but perhaps the fact that I have been sucked in by all this without having done any of my own research about it shows that I'm just easily influenced, along with every other person who shared the film straight away without even thinking about what this organisation is actually asking us to do. That's by no means an insult; it's an incredibly well made film and cleverly thought out campaign, and I was more than ready and willing to buy the bracelet, start making posters etc. etc.
But I've decided that I'm going to rein my emotions in for the time being and do some research into the matter before I take a solid stance on it - I don't know anything about Uganda or, more importantly, the Ugandan army's involvement, and I have no idea whether or not capturing Kony would result in more lost lives and if it would even end his tyranny. I'm starting to feel like I can't just take all the information presented to me in the film as gospel; there were crying children and the guys' son was adorable, of course I was going to listen to everything they said.
There's people discussing the other side of the story here: visiblechildren.tumblr.com and Let's Talk About Kony

Don't get me wrong, I want to believe in KONY 2012 not only because it could potentially be for a great cause and raise awareness about what's really going on in Uganda, but it would be also be an amazing thing to be a part of. My initial reaction was one of overwhelming emotion and inspiration, but I just feel like I can't completely throw myself in without knowing exactly what it is I would be fighting for. I just hope it's not used as an excuse for people to riot and cause trouble on April 20th.

On a design related note, what was discussed in our seminar yesterday regarding the D&AD 'Peace Day' brief is spookily similar to Invisible Children's strategy to get the public on their side....
"Piss people off, make them angry and scared. And then present 'Peace Day' as their solution."